Wednesday, January 30, 2008

One step closer

So, I've already referenced it once. I'll do it again.
Because we are one step closer.

I remember this great film from the late '90s called Gattaca. And such a clever name. Especially when held in context of the movie. It was all about DNA. And for those of you who know anything about DNA, there are 4 enzimes that make two pars, each designated by a letter: G, A, T, and C. As you can see, the name of the film employs only those letters.

Today, that name would no longer be possible. As of today, we may be able to write that list as: G, A, T, C, d5SICS, dMMO2. Go read.

I'm curious about reactions to this. Hopeful? Terrified? Already fantasizing about real Catgirl?

I'm already imagining a world where I can fly to work if I feel like it that day... on my own wings. A world where we can finally get rid of that stupid joke.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll stick under "hopeful" for now. Even if they aren't to the point of changing the DNA of a living creature yet, I'll be interested to see if this opens up any possibilities in molecular computing. DNA-based processor, anyone?